31.1.15

Goodbye January!

Today is the last day of January, which means that it is the last day of the theme I’ve been carrying this month – time.

Over the course of this month, I’ve found a decided truth in understanding the ways in which time, and my perception of it, shape my daily life.  It’s no secret that I love time.  But what I’ve learned over this month is not so much that I need the structure of time and lists to complete the tasks I set for myself, but that I really enjoy doing so.  Other folks are able to fly by the seat of their pants, live each day as the moment arrives, and to them, I raise my cup of tea.  It just doesn’t work for me.
Being goal driven and future looking is something that is a source of pride for me.  I like knowing what I plan to be doing this time next year, next month, next week.  It gives structure and measure to days, much like as if I’m writing my own symphony.  Music notes give measure to the melody, and ultimately are governed by time.  There’s a reason the time signature for any given tune is in numbers like four-eight, three-six … it’s because musicians, much like writers know what kind of experience they want to craft for their audience, and know that the way to go about that is through a careful appreciation of and adherence to time.
The first month of this blog has been a wonderful exercise in learning what works for me.  And more than that, learning what doesn’t.  I was really upset to miss a day of writing this month.  However, I know that the time I spent in bed with the flu is where I was supposed to be.  So, water under that Buddhist bridge I wrote about earlier this month.  Onward to February and the new theme – gratitude.

I hope you’re enjoying reading these daily words of mine, and I hope you’ll continue.  One month down, eleven to go!

1 comment:

  1. I'm greatly enjoying your Moonlight Sonata of blogs as its time signature varies from spirit animals to "Fuck of All Fucks," all while continuing the same rhythm. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete