30.1.15

Macro Life

The bitchy thing about weighing all of my food is that it takes so much damn time.  I made a soup yesterday because it was the only thing that sounded good.  I cheated a bit and used Bob’s Soup Mix for a base – lentils and beans, mainly, and then added some homemade red sauce, some fresh veggies and some broth.  Ordinarily, I’d cook the beans and lentils myself, but desperate times and all that.  Simmered it for hours, letting the scent waft through my flat.  It made me feel cozy and at home.  But before I ate it, I logged it into the app I use to track my food.
Now I know lots of folks think that tracking food is a waste of time, but for me in my life, it works.  It’s a measure of control, and it helps me keep my macros in check.  So, after that life changing bath yesterday, I was ready to eat and lie down with another movie.  But I had to first enter in all of the ingredients, weigh the contents of the soup and then divide the weight by eight so that I knew exactly what I was getting. I haven’t had much to eat the last three days, and everything I’ve had has already been entered at some point into my app, so I hadn’t run across this particular issue during my sickness. 
Talk about a mind fuck.  Math?  And division at that?  Frack.  For the birds.  Either way, flu or not, I’m still committed to what I am trying to do with regard to my body, so I patiently slopped the soup from the cooking pot to a bowl to weigh it, and then proceeded to divide by eight.  It’s a painstaking process, but it’s one to which I’ve become so accustomed that just … eating out the pot seemed so alien, I couldn’t do it.

What struck me, as I was portioning the weighed soup into my new Mason jars gifted by Rubin for my birthday was no so much that I was doing it, as that even in sickness, it has become so second nature to me that I couldn’t not do it. 
For what it’s worth, the soup was killer.  On point.  Lentils, beans and broth?  How can a veg chick say no to that?  The only thing that would have made it better would have been some of Thig’s fresh bread and someone to recommend a good flick.  I settled on reading more from the book of Rilke's poetry Voyin gifted me.  Fell asleep to the sounds of German poetry floating in my brain.



No comments:

Post a Comment