6.1.15

Allegro 40 in G Minor

I spent Monday evening creating art.  I love hand crafted pieces that show dedication, love, and adoration for both the subject of the art and the intended.  In my flat, I have pieces I’ve created over the years, pieces I’ve collected from local artists and nothing mass produced.  I don’t want to look at something that someone else made!  I want to find strength in the things I’ve had the courage to make, or the things someone else has taken the time to craft.
One of my favorite pieces is a collection of postcards from Efed, sent from all corners of the globe.  It showcases not only her travels in the world, but also her thoughtfulness and commitment to spending a few moments penning a postcard to me.  This piece sits above my shrine to Buddha, and it is generally the first thing I really ‘see’ in the morning when I wake.  Every morning, at four am, it makes me smile.  She’s a gem, that sister of mine.

Monday night, I made magnets for Voyin who is settling in to his new town in Jappa.  He’s just moved from Tokyo, where’s he’s been living with some friends for the last month, to his new flat in Marugame. I’m certain that the transition has been a touch difficult – even though he’s a master at the language and culture, change is change, right?  So, in efforts to help ease the transition, I scoured magazines for images and words that I thought might serve as a reminder to him of his capacity as a human, his drive and determination, and mostly, as a reminder that there are folks across the pond who consider him often.  I’ll be mailing out these magnets, along with some other goodies I’ve picked up for him later this week.  Mail to Jappa takes about ten days, so hopefully they’ll all arrive in one piece soon.  I’m sure his flat will be a bit more cheery with some Jess-original art.


Though I should have sat with pages tonight, revising my thesis, or finalizing the edits on my manuscript, this is what called to me.  While crafting this art for Voyin, my two favorite Mozart pieces came on – Allegro 40 in G Minor and Eine kleine Nacktmusik.  I take both as a sign that the way I’ve chosen to spend my time has been in line with what the Universe wants me to be doing right now.  I'd love to show you the magnets, but I don't want to ruin the surprise!  I'll post a pic once they arrive in Jappa :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment