5.1.15

Rise Up!





A wise woman once said, “I remind myself to count blessings, not list grievances.”

Here is a blessing.  The Cincinnati sunrise.  I ached for this city for so many years, and now that I"m back, I'm finding the landscape has totally changed.

I guess I’m at a bit of weird spot right now with regard to social activities.  I’ve alluded to the fact that I’ve been spending considerable amounts of time in my lab, working on my thesis and other creative works.  That’s left little to no time to see friends.

While I know that this is the part of this transition phase where I knuckle down and get into getting into it, it’s also a bit lonely.  Anya reminds me that focusing on my craft will advance me more than anything else, and went so far to tell me that if I’m not talking about writing when I’m out, I’m wasting my time.

She’s right, and I know it, but damn, sometimes it’s hard.

I remember the days when I was so lost, forgotten on the path I’d started that weeks would go by without me touching a pen to a page.  I don’t want to return to days like that, but I need to seek the balance that can only come from trial and error.  I know there’s a way to find the time to make this work, but I fear that means I have to cut back on other things. And I’m not exactly sure I want to do that.

Spending two hours in the gym a day, working ten or twelve hours at the office, and then sitting to pages seems like a perfect day.  I have friendships that I keep up via electronic means, and that’s helpful because it’s efficient.  I can tap out a conversation and then return to my work.  It’s not that I don’t want the investment of spending physical time with other people, it’s just that I don’t know what the ROI will actually end up being.  That sounds selfish, but I think I'm okay with that.  Extra mile is never crowded, right?  Time to rise up like the sun, stand strong in the sky and move on with my path.

No comments:

Post a Comment