9.1.15

Friday Night Lights

Wow, Friday is almost all done!

I marvel at the way time seems to seep on by.  I started this morning at 4 like I always do - woke up, clapped my hands and said hello to the world.  It's cold here; cold enough that I'm sleeping with socks, even though my feet need to see the dream world.  No matter, I turned the heat up, boiled my water for coffee and tea, and started my pull ups.  I do five rounds of three pull ups, or three rounds of five if I'm feeling extra-beasty every morning.  It gets my blood pumping and it's a nice reset for the day.  Quickly, four turned to five, and six … and sitting at my office at seven greeting patients, I realized I’d been up already three hours.  One cuppa down, and another steeping in my mug, I embraced the idea that time is so mobile.

Today, I spent a considerable amount of time prepping food for this coming week.  After work, I took a quick nap and then went to the gym.  Ninety minutes later, I was dashing through the city, looking for red lentils, almond butter and other ingredients to craft my stew.  At six, I started cooking, and now, three hours later, I’m finally sitting to pages.


The time I spent making my lentil tofu stew was so worth it!  I know that every day, for the next ten days (since I made SO much of this dish) I eat this, I’ll be thankful that I don’t have to craft a new meal.  I think that’s why I like meal prep days.  Usually, I wait until Sunday to make the food for the upcoming week.  But, with my cake day and trip to NYC fast approaching, this seemed the most reasonable way to spend my time.


I find it marvelous (in the truest sense of the word) that I spent Friday evening making food.  Sure, I could have drummed up some social activity with which to occupy my time.  Instead, I chose to use my time wisely and efficiently.  Five years ago, if someone told me I’d spend the eve chopping and cutting vegetables, I would have laughed.  Now, it is such a welcomed relief after a long week.  Amazing how things change as time progresses and I age.  I've made this a priority - sitting in my lab, after making meals for the week with a fresh candle and Buddy Guy playing in the background.  I couldn't imagine a better way to spend my time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment