10.1.15

Minty J

Warming my hands around this wonderful “J” mug with some peppermint tea seeping finds me sitting in the lab.  It’s Thesis Edit Day.  What a project this has become. 

I’ve always been comfortable writing critical essays, using writer craft words, but this paper has been a bit of a beast to wrestle.  It’s taken countless hours in front of my machine, researching specific theories, reading the words I am discussing, forming and crafting my argument.  After I submitted the first draft to my wonderful professor, and she kindly reminded me that the thesis is not a discourse in theory, but in practical application, I was at a loss for what to do next.
So, I did what any sane writer would do.  I asked another writer!  Graciously, my friend Premo suggested a new approach to my work.  And while that meant more time sitting and researching, it was also a wonderful example of a time in which someone else offered his time for no benefit to himself.  Premo has kids and a job, and his own work to do.  But he took the time to think about what I was/am trying to write about in my thesis and offered concrete suggestions.
An act of kindness.  A use of time. 

Thanks, Premo!  I wouldn’t be spending these hours in front of my machine today if you hadn’t taken the time.  (I’d likely be pulling out my hair and wondering how the hell I was going to make my Wednesday deadline.)

1 comment:

  1. You're welcome! No rock this draft and have fun looking at the difference.

    ReplyDelete