17.1.15

Soshaku and Bridges


In Jappa-speak, soshaku means “I am chewing over.”  I love the sound of this word, it’s onomatopoeia at its finest, I think.  So-sha-ku, like the whoosh of thoughts rushing, like the sound of chewing, the motion of movement, the way water sounds on a bridge. 

Today, I am chewing over these two Buddhist koans. 

Happiness never decreases when shared.

The water is flowing, but the bridge is staying still.

The first of these koans is new to me.  I was just gifted it yesterday and wow, talk about timing. It’s a true story – happiness does not decrease when split and shared.  It’s even more wonderful to share it with like minded folks.  I shared my morning with Voyin via skype.  I had my coffee while he had his beer.  We crafted plans, looked at options, discussed the future, and three hours passed by without me realizing it.  Last Saturday, I lounged in bed, enjoying the progression of time without fretting if I was spending it correctly.  This Saturday, I’ve done the same, just in a different way.


The second koan is one of my favorites.  It’s a nice reminder that perspective is relative to the state of one’s mind, and that in order to fully understand time and motion, one needs to only know that everything continues to move.  Going back to yesterday’s expansive and releasing Lion’s Breath moment, I realize that letting go of the bullshit from the week, and the darkness that was itching to surround me has allowed me the opportunity to seek the light.  Life is too precious to keep on in the darkness.  Sappy as all get out, I know.  But it’s true.  The water is going to keep moving no matter what, so why not relish in the stability of the bridge?

So movement and time are on my mind today.


Sunny January day with an expected high temperature of 50 means that this chick is going for a nice outside run.  It will feel good to move in time with my footfalls, and not the speed set on a mill.  And it will be even better to spend some time with myself, my breath, my thoughts.  I need the space that an outside run will allow.  Cabin fever is real!

No comments:

Post a Comment