2.3.15

Wise Words

Aristotle said, “The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance.”  While I’m no philosopher (though I do love me some Seneca from time to time, thanks to Ghost) I appreciate the candor and truth of Aristotle’s words.  Also, sidebar - check out this dude. Doesn't he just look like someone who would have some wise shit to say? 
This quote has been on one of the panels of the window that Anya gifted me.  I've been staring at these words for over a year, but just today did I realize what they really mean. 
The aim of my art, aside from writing out the truths I feel are important, is to offer a glimmer.  Some reflection of what it means to be human, of what it means to be whole.  I think this is one of the reasons I return to often to the same sorts of subjects – poverty, the underbelly of society, the folks who don’t have a voice.

What nourishes me, when I sit in my lab and try to dial in to what I want to say isn’t so much the idea that my thoughts will ever be in print.  But that, for maybe a few small moments, someone will read something I write, and find a truth within themselves.  Just like I have with Ari's words.  I can call him Ari, right?  I mean, we're cool like that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment