21.3.15

Santa Came to Town!


Ever have one of those days when you just feel on?  I've been feeling mad on today.  
Driving back from Rubin’s this morning, I was waiting for the light to change at the intersection of Dana and Montgomery and watched a dude in a full-on Santa suit cross the street.  Yep, it’s March, not December, but the image didn’t strike me as being overly fantastic, just run of the mill Evanston in the early morning on a Saturday. I’m pretty sure dude’s beard was real, and he sort of looked like Santa, so it seemed pretty legit that he was dressed like Old St. Nick.
We locked eyes as he crossed in front of Loretta and I smiled.  I think that set the tone for my day.
I skipped a trip to the pond this weekend to sit with my pages and be able to make my deadline.  Salty to have to do it, but I guess this is the life a grad student.
Today was absoleutely gorgeous out, so I took my machine and my tea onto the back stoop.  Brought out some plants to get some good sun and proceeded to attack my pages with a decided dedication that I haven’t felt in a while.  After every fifty minutes, I made sure to get up, do something else, and then came back to it. 
Midway through the afternoon, I set out for a run.  It wasn’t super fab, but it was what I needed to get out of my writing world just enough and realize the missing pieces of this narrative I’m writing.
Once home, I sat back with my pages, and now, almost twelve hours after I started, I have completed edits of my manuscript.  Well almost.  Close enough that I feel okay sitting to new work.  What a wonderful way to spend the day.  I can’t help but think that Chris Cringle, crossing in front of my car, had something to do with it.  What a lovely present … to be present in this moment, this life, to find nourishment in this kind of day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment