11.3.15

Feeding Time

I couldn’t go too many days without posting a pic of some amazing food during this month of writing about nourishment.  C'mon, this is expected, right?
Today, my off day, started as they all do – a visit to the gym for squats and deads.  I added in some weighted lunges that kicked my ass and some Romanian deads to the mix.  Hard workout that got my blood moving and sweat pouring.  Yes please.  Left feeling super hungry. 
Before I went to the gym, I put some mung beans and some red lentils in water to soak.  Wasn’t sure what I’d made with them, but it seemed like a good start to the day.  During my lifting session, I considered what it was I was needing for my day.  Protein, obviously, but I also wanted something crunchy.  Pitta- Vata eating suggests that soft foods are best for me, and since adapting this eating style, I’ve been really good about what I ingest.  I mean, like super good.  No more almonds for snacks, or cashews, pistachios, or anything that hasn’t been … well, mush.  But fuck that, I need something to chew.
So this is what I made!

A red lentil and mung bean granola with nuts and a vegan protein powder Willis gifted me as a binder.  Doesn’t it look ridiculously amazing?  I took my time with this batch of granola.  After I roasted the pine and Macademia nuts, I left the lentils and beans on a sheet pan to dry while I went for a run.  Added in some edamame for good measure and went out to enjoy the sunshine.  Four miles later, I returned to almost dried legumes that I slow roasted for almost an hour.  Once I combined everything and returned it to the oven to crisp up, my entire place smelled just divine.
Over the course of the day, I sampled this concoction just enough to make sure it was legit.  And it is.  I’ve been anxiously awaiting dinner time (read RIGHT NOW!) to have some of this with some freshly steamed veggies.  Might not be for everyone, but this kind of eating appeals to me in the best way.  It nourishes my soul, my belly, and most importantly, my mind. Yum.

Commence stuffing my face in THREE, TWO, ONE … go!

No comments:

Post a Comment