14.3.15

It's Here!

Earlier this month, I wrote about the fact that I took off the kara-type bracelet I’ve been wearing for the last year.  It just felt right to let go of it after it being around my wrist for almost twelve months.  I officially took it off a week ago today!  This morning, I locked myself out of my apartment again.  Please don’t laugh!  Okay, go ahead.  I laughed too.  And swore really loudly.  At least I had my tea and my phone with me.  Ghost’s key is still sitting where I left it Thursday, so I knew that there was no way I was going to get in.  Called Rubin, who dashed over from Clifton to let me in, chuckling all the while.  Who fucking locks herself out of her apartment TWICE in one week?  Obviously, I have a lot on my mind right now.
So Rubin let me in, and then stood in my kitchen for a minute, stoic and silent.  He reached into his pocket and pulled out a kara direct from India for me!  “Here, hold out you hand,” he said, not having to tell me to offer my right hand.  I did and he pushed the kara over my hand and onto my wrist.  Karas are made of steel, and once they’re put on, they’re not intended to be taken off.

How apropos that he offered me this commitment at the end of week where I’ve locked myself out twice.  To me, it speaks to the commitment I’ve made (and continue to make) to myself to nourish my soul.  That is, to seek out moments and individuals that help me to grow, nourish my soul, and fulfill me.  This kara, this lovely gift from Rubin will forever be a reminder of these things for me.

Also, a forever reminder to check for my fucking keys before I leave the house! 

No comments:

Post a Comment