10.3.15

Up and Down

I only ran three and a half on Monday night, as much because I only slept five hours the night before as I was worried it was going to rain.  There are few things worse than a crisp breeze and cold running clothes.  So, I clipped my miles, making a giant circle around my neighborhood.
While running, I considered my #urbanrunner photography and how I might fine tune it for this new running season.  After reading my post from Saturday showcasing a window I found in Norwood, Anya pointed out that I probably have amassed an entire collection of images of doors and windows.  A quick scroll through my Instagram feed confirmed that she’s right.
So on Monday, I was thinking about how to change that up.  I really enjoy the process of being aware, of seeing where I’m running and not just tucking my head down and looking at the pavement.  One of the reasons doors and windows speak to me so sincerely is because I understand the inherent meaning in the structures.  I find truth in knowing that both can offer differing perspectives, depending on whether or not one is looking out or looking in.  And maybe, one of the main reasons I chose to photograph so many doors and windows last year was because I was trying to figure out if I was looking out into the world, or looking in toward myself.
With that in mind, I began examining the structures I passed, and it occurred to me that stairs are a really underrated architectural feat!  Much like windows and doors, they offer a different view depending on where one is standing.  I often dream about staircases, and when walking up or down them, find myself counting the steps, no matter what else I’m doing.

I happened upon this set of stairs as I was finishing my run on Monday.  

They’re pretty well maintained, but I like the giant salt stain rippling down the middle.  I think it speaks to the duality of what stairs represent.  Moving up and down in life is part of the process.  It helps to sustain us as humans, feed our souls, and offer some truths along the way.  Nourishment in a concrete jungle, that’s what they are.  

No comments:

Post a Comment