6.10.15

Ham Hock and Pinto Beans

Tuesday's Truth

Some mornings I wake up and I just want a bowl of my Mama’s beans. She would start with her beans the night before – carefully picking out any rocks or other weird pieces that might’ve come in the bag, and then would leave them to soak overnight. In the morning, she’d change the water, add some bay leaves and set them to a low simmer on the back right burner of our old stove. Drop in a couple of bay leaves, some other spices and off the beans went to do whatever it was that they were supposed to do. It was watching her preparing beans that I first learned a lesson in patience.
Sure, I didn’t exactly want beans for breakfast, but show a little girl one of her favorite meals and then say that she has to wait until dinner, and the struggle becomes tough! And yet, somehow I managed to make it through every one of those days.

This morning, I woke with a serious hankerin’ for some beans. And not just the thought of opening a can of black beans and weighing out 150 grams on my scale. Nope. I wanted full on real southern beans. Cornbread. A cold glass of milk, too.

Of course, there’s no way that’s going to happen. I have neither the recipe nor the time to make beans the way Mama could. Cornbread is also nowhere near the same Universe as my current meal plan! So what to do, I puzzled while making my coffee. I did the best thing I could think of in this early morning … I opened a menagerie of beans, plopped them in my soup pot, added some spices and set the burner to low. It’s not going to be the same as sitting on the floor eating soup-beans out of a chipped bowl, but it’s as close as I can get. 

No comments:

Post a Comment