1.10.15

Changing Expectations

Thursday’s Thought 

Adopt the pace of nature; her secret is patience. - Emerson

As the season begins to change, I find myself changing with it. I am wise enough to know when to scale things back and when to ramp up. Right now, I’m in the middle-state of trying to do both. In the fitness world, I’m on a cut and I’m bulking at the same time. It sends my body into overdrive and the results, if done properly, will be fantastic. 

In my writer world, I’m putting finishing touches on my latest work and starting research for a new novel. Again, the dichotomy of these two ongoing processes can lead to confusing my characters and plot lines, if I’m not careful and plan accordingly.



I find all too often the inescapable desire to just go-go-go. I want everything yesterday, and that can be problematic at times. Emerson’s words strike a chord with me because they are true. Patience is the key to making sure that progress happens as it should. I can’t short change my characters any more than I can put on muscle if I’m not willing to work at each of these things in the right way. Rushing to write or trying to lift a weight that I am not prepared for is ultimately only going to lead me astray, far from the dreams I want so badly to achieve. Today, I’m considering Ralph’s words and remembering that each step, even if it’s small, is a step. 

No comments:

Post a Comment