19.5.15

Excellence and Habits

Well!  Today marks 150 days of me tracking every single workout and every single meal. I know, right? Crazy to consider. But I'm so pleased and excited! That's almost half a year, and while my recovery hasn't been always been as awesome as it seems right now, this benchmark reminds me of a few things. My boy Ari said it best about habits and excellence ...


Namely, it reminds me that everything isn't a number. Yes, one hundred and fifty days of tracking is a great feat; it shows commitment to this process and to what I'm trying to achieve. I'll be honest though ... 150 isn't 200 or 365 ... and that annoys me. But! It annoys me only because I'm an impatient kind of person, and I want everything yesterday. Knowing that I've remained this focused for this long reinforces every reason why I keep at this. Especially on tough days when I don’t want to do it.
Coincidentally, today marks the 150th post of this blog. Isn’t it wonderful when things just sync? There have been many days when I've been so busy, or tired, or distracted and the thought has crossed my mind to skip my blog. And then, I remember the committment I made to myself - this is the year of daily posts, of opening myself enough to write something every day. Albeit, some of these posts are less than amazing, but the determination to keep at it remains the same. It's just like tracking in a way. 

Funny thing, tracking. It is now as much as habit as brushing my teeth or going for a sweat or well, doing anything. It’s second nature for me now to log what I’ve had and how much I’ve exercised. In a way, it keeps me on target, but I also understand that it’s a measure of control. I hope that the day comes when I don’t log everything – it will mean that I’ve reached a level of comfort, not just with my body but also with my mind. Until then, this app and these ever filling steno pads are going to do just fine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment