7.5.15

A Mantra for the Ages

Compassion is defined as the sympathetic concern for the suffering of another. All too often, it seems so simple to be compassionate toward another, a cause, a movement, or an idea.  It’s far more difficult to be compassionate with oneself. I don’t know why that is, but I know it to be true in my own life.
Last summer, I fell in love. Yep, like head over heels in love with this fine lady.

This is Quan Yin. In Eastern belief, she is the Goddess of compassion, the one to whom folks can appeal when they are in need of a bit of sympathy. She can be likened to the Virgin Mary in Western thought, or to a litany of Pagan Goddesses.
When I discovered Quan, it was purely by accident. I was researching mudras and mantras, hoping to expand on my Kundalini practice. Out of nowhere, there she appeared – with her grace, her stoic nature, and her mantra Om Mani Padme Hum. While it’s difficult to exactly translate, the Om represents generosity, the Ma ethics and morals, Ni reminds one to be patient, Pad encourages diligence, Me is the reunification of the self and spirit, and Hum a request for wisdom.
How totally complete.
Collectively, this mantra represents, for me, at least, the ultimate request. I seek all of these things in my life, and hope that through the repetition of the mantra, along with careful meditation on Quan and her wisdom, I might gain some insight.

I’ve been thinking about Quan since May began, namely because I recognize the fact that in order to finally kick this, I need to be compassionate … toward myself. I need to call to mind the reasons for which I am embarking on this journey again, seeking the wisdom of the folks who know best, and to be patient in the process. This is a journey, to be sure, but with the right attitude, it doesn’t seem insurmountable. I know that Quan’s guidance and my diligence will bring about the changes I seek. 

No comments:

Post a Comment