20.5.15

Liftin' with the Big Boys

Last night, I had the wonderful opportunity to lift with Ghost and Koolaid. I know, right!? How awesome to find time to carve out with my brother and one of my oldest boys. I've always looked up to Ghost and Koolaid for their physical prowress. They're strong. They've always been strong, so I was sure that the session was going to be amazing. Well. It was. But for a very different reason. 
I haven’t worked out with anyone (aside from a training sesh with Sig in January) since Voyin left for Japan six months ago. Over this half year, I’ve fallen into my own rhythm and routine. I focus, I listen to music, I lift, I write my weights and reps.
And apparently, I lift heavy.
The three of us were working on standing overhead shoulder press – my workout called for a 4x15 set, so I was only using twenty five pound dumb bells. If the reps had been lower, I would have been at 35 at least, if not forty pounds. Struggling just a touch with a forty, Koolaid looked at Ghost and said, “You realize your sister is only using fifteen pounds less than us, right?” Whoa. Hold up. When did I start to be so strong?


Like this eating disorder recovery process, building strength is a process too. I read on a fitness blog recently that a well built body is a status symbol – it is nothing that can be purchased, borrowed, leased. It’s something that is worked for, every single day, with diet, nutrition, rest and exercise. Damn fucking skippy.

Koolaid’s comment made me proud. Not just because it’s validation that the hours I log in the gym are paying off, but because it’s recognition that I am strong. I am capable. Able. A beast in her own right.

Today, I’ve carried this decided pride with me throughout my day. Last minute res prep is in full swing, and while I’m sure there’s something I’m sure I’ve forgotten … I haven’t forgotten to nourish my body, to feed it properly … because now it’s a challenge to keep up with the boys. 

No comments:

Post a Comment