27.11.15

#plyofitness

Friday’s Fitness

Between Residency in Louisville and my #transatlanticthanksgiving keeping with my gym schedule the last two weeks has been a challenge. At res, I fought a cold pretty much the whole time so my Coach clipped my sweats … pretty much the whole time. It was frustrating to not get in the usual two hours to which I’ve become accustomed as much because exercise and fitness are a part of my core being as being there’s little as relaxing for me as a serious sweat! But the tapering off has been a good practice in remembering that I don’t always need weights to exercise, and that sweating while traveling is not only totally possible, but also really effective!

On Monday, Coach designed this crazy ass every minute on the minute sweat for me. It ended up being fifty minutes of work, and by the time I was finished, I’d done 200 squats, 200 Russian kettlebell swings, 150 burpees, 150 pushups and 300 rows. For the record, at minute 30, I was sure of a few things – 1, I was going to die and 2, my Coach gives me too much credit for thinking I could do it and 3, there might be something wrong with his brain. Ha, I’m kidding (only about the third part). I made it through and all five rounds and holy whoa, it was pretty hard. But it brought to mind the kinds of sweats Voyin and I used to do, and so I’ve kept that in mind while considering how to keep up with my fitness while I’m overseas. Today, I’ll be replicating Coach’s workout to some extent. I don’t have a gira with me, but I am going to do an every minute on the minute sweat with squats, pushups, and the like.


Fitness doesn’t always have to be about deadlifts and bench press. Sometimes getting back to the basics, reverting to good old body-weight sweats is a great reminder that there’s more to life than just lifting. I’ve spent the better part of this year being so focused on my lift numbers that I’ve forgotten, in part, not only how much I love working out, but that it can be fun! Of course I say that now in the comfort of this cushy airplane seat. Ask me again tomorrow how the sweat went and I might have something different to say. That’s unlikely though – somehow my Coach always seems to know when and how to rekindle the kind of fire I need to get me back to where I should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment