4.9.15

Wahe Guru

Friday's Feature



Her spirit and light with assuage even the most melancholy, scattered or broken minds.
Long before I became a client at L Yoga Flow, I knew the studio was there. I was training for my first half marathon, and my ten mile runs took me right past it. I always wondered about the “L” in the name, wondered if it was just another pretentious yoga studio full of women who look like yogis, but don’t embody the spirit of kindness and gratitude.
One Tuesday morning, a Groupon popped into my inbox. Among other discounts around the Gahanna area was an offer from L Yoga Flow. Ten classes for the price of five, or something like that. Figuring it was a sign from the Universe, I decided to buy it and resolved to attend my first class that following Saturday morning.
No stranger to yoga, I decided to attend Natalie’s Refresh class, thinking I could surely keep up with the pace. I arrived early, as is my custom, and nestled in, expecting to feel edgy and uncomfortable, out of place in my Target yoga gear, ostracized for not wearing that other yoga brand that starts with an L ... Natalie ended her class and came out to greet me. Her smile struck me first. It was genuine, sincere, and not at all what I was expecting. She didn’t just look at me, she looked into me, and it was in that moment that I knew I’d found my forever yoga home. Turns out, I couldn't keep up with the class - hello chaturanga. But that didn't stop me from returning, day after day.
Over the course of the rest of the time I spent in Columbus, I was a regular at Natalie’s studio. I watched as she tirelessly worked to transform it into a beacon of light, a place of comfort and love, one that welcomes and embraces all yogis in all forms, no matter where one might be in his/her personal practice. During this time, I also began to rely on Natalie for support and emotional guidance. She brought to light things I could not see, offered me suggestions on what I might do, and how I might heal. It was through her that I learned what it truly means to serve. Her spiritual journey and my own are congruent in some ways and vastly different in others. What has made her one of the most brilliant teachers in my life is her unfailing support, her tenacious dedication to promoting the message of love and truth, and by living it. Every single day. While I know there were likely days that were less than sunny for her, I never once have seen the light go out of her eyes. She remains committed and dedicated to her path, her vision, and her voice.
Though I’m no longer in the region, I still consider Natalie and the great folks at L Yoga Flow to be my yoga home. It was in those walls I fell in love with Kundalini, learned the mantras and chants that have helped me visualize and actualize the life I am currently leading. Sat Nam, sweet dear Natalie. The teacher in me honors the teacher in You. 

No comments:

Post a Comment