12.9.15

Sharks and Dolphins

Saturday’s Song

                                                                                                               
I’m changing it up a bit this week, since my weeks don’t end on Saturdays! It makes more sense to give a summary tomorrow, when I can review what’s happened these last seven days, and then look forward to what I want to accomplish in the next seven.
Measured progress, right? It’s the only way! I realize that I’ve been lacking on my posts about music … even though music offers the pattern to my life. I’ve discovered recently at Beat that if I’m not listening to my tunes, my workouts suffer. That’s not to say that the music Beat plays is bad – it’s not, Rage and Tool and the like are all fantastic examples of music that helps to get a lot of people pumped, but it just doesn’t want to do it for me.
So. This week, I’ve been vacillating between these two songs – Raw by Futuristic and featuring Samson, and Hold On by Mark Battles, featuring Dizzy Wright. Both of these songs are in minor chords, a little sad, but mainly call to mind a period of nostalgic longing, and if these last nine months of writing have taught me anything, it’s that I love (and live) to pine.

Hold On starts, “I know … things aint the way that they used to be/ and I know the weight of the world makes it hard to breathe/ you gotta hold on …” Whoa, right. On the precipice of autumn, and all the introspection that the season of pumpkin brings, this song hits me right. It takes me to countless memories, most all decades old, dusty from not remembering them often enough. It brings me the sort of space that reminds me how far I’ve come and how far I’ve yet to go. “Too strong to weep, so I fall asleep and dream of success  … Dear Lord, I’m hope I’m ready for the things you got in store.” Not only does this track give encourage me to keep moving, but it helps me remember that my struggle is not just mine. We all go through these kinds of days. Might not be the kind of bars that everyone wants to listen to when lifting weights, but it puts me where I need to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment