16.9.15

Des Vu

Wednesday’s Word



Des Vu –
            The awareness that the moment one is experiencing will become a memory
            From the French, “seen as soon as” or “seen from this point forward”

This is another word from our pal Koenig. (See post 07 September).
Oh, isn’t this lovely? This word makes me smile and calls to mind so many moments that I knew, while experiencing them, would become treasured memories. This word calls to mind every poetic fiber in my being; it makes me want to languish in the idle events which have shaped and altered me as a human. It also makes me want to sit with a glass of grapes, overlooking some bit of water and write until all the words I need to say are on paper.

Being so aware of a moment, and knowing that it’s going to imprint into one’s consciousness reminds me of what happens with baby birds. Imprinting is a critical period of time early in an animal’s life when it is able to form attachments and develop a concept of identity. This is usually done through mimicry and internalization of the actions of another animal, most often one who is in a caregiving role. Imprints give rise to the possibility that memories will shape us, long after the moment has past.  

No comments:

Post a Comment