5.8.15

Rest Days are What?

Wednesday’s Word

Commitment
           
A pledge or undertaking
The state or quality of being dedicated to a cause or activity

In this life of goals and tasks, it’s so easy to set expectations and targets because I know how to work backward to make sure that I achieve what I’m setting out to do.
Weekly check ins with my calendar and daily reviews of my monthly intentions help to keep me focused and dedicated to what I’m seeking.
Knowing that I only have myself to fail, I have the distinct and fantastic perspective of forcibly renewing my commitments to myself every single day. I think it’s all too easy to set a goal for something far off in the future and then forget about it for a while. It’s something that most of us do from time to time because pledging to make a change – or achieve a goal – takes daily dedication. Day in and out, I remind myself to live my dreams so that when I’m faced with choices, I know what to do, how to do it and for whom I’m doing it.

I haven’t always been this focused. There were so many years when I just flopped around in life, moving from one event to the next, letting the water take me as it wanted. It was fun, and I gained a number of valuable experiences, so I know it wasn’t a total waste. I learned a lot about myself during that time, and it ultimately helped to shape me into the human I am today. That said, I wouldn’t have minded if someone might have come along and given me a swift ass kick from time to time to make sure I stayed in line. Now, because I report only to myself, and have only myself to disappoint, I feel a decided amount of pressure to excel, to achieve, to reach so far beyond my boundaries … and in the process, I’m finding that I’m consistently surprising myself with my dedication. Commitment isn’t just the glue that binds me to my goals, it’s the way I live my life. Like someone famous once said, “No rest is worth anything except the rest that is earned.”

No comments:

Post a Comment