28.8.15

Inked!

Friday's Feature

Art, like writing, is largely open to the interpretation of the viewer (or reader, of course) and James Dryer’s work never falls short of inspiring viewers to marvel at his skill. His name bespeaks his work. I’ve written about my experiences sitting in the chair of this lovely artist, but I’ve never properly given his shop the proper attention it deserves!
\

AsylumTattoo first opened in 2001. In 2005 James and his team moved to a larger location and his second satellite shop opened in 2013. With an affinity for details, and a love of illustrative and realism works, Dryer’s clients have come to expect a particular level of satisfaction and experience when they walk into Asylum.

His work can be seen on Asylum's page. Not only does it offer some wonderful examples of his inking abilities, but there are also a number of great examples of his painting as well. 


Recently, I asked him why he’s focused his talents on tattooing instead of traditional artistic mediums like painting and drawing. Dryer said that tattoo offers a means “to create art with instant gratification of the finished work.” As a writer who obsesses over her edits, and edits her edits, I can’t imagine this kind of pressure! That Dryer is able to consistently perform, and perform well, is a feat. His work stretches imagination, calls to light everything that a tattoo should be - a graceful representation of something that is dear to the wearer. I have spent so many hours in his chair and have seen first hand just how far his kindness and appreciation for humanity goes. He's become more than just the guy who puts ink into my skin. He's become a friend. Though my inking days are at a pause right now, I know I have found my forever artist. Keep at it James!


No comments:

Post a Comment