6.8.15

A Long Walk

Thursday’s Truth

On Wednesday, Willis and I met at French Park and walked in the woods. We used to spend so much time together there when we were teenagers – somewhere in her photography archives, she has a picture of me and some other friends perched on the trunk of a fallen tree.
Our walk lasted an hour and was full of the constant stream of conversation that tends to happen when two friends who have known one another for almost a lifetime meet for a catch-up. The conversation vacillated between all things present – her wedding, my words, and a touch into the past too. We discovered a commemorative plaque dug deep into the earth that neither of us had ever noticed.
After we’d circled the park and arrived back at the top of the hill, I realized just how much I’ve missed her. The steady back and forth conversation, the ease with which we were able to open to one another were both reminders that friendships might wax and wane, but true ones remain.

On Tuesday, I wrote about a change in perspective changes perspective. Yesterday’s walk reinforced this idea. I drove off marveling that the time had passed too quickly, that I couldn’t wait for the next park walk, and that I really need to get out more. I felt at peace in a clear and beautiful way. Once again, big ups, Willis. You keep teaching me things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment