14.8.15

Form and Technique

Friday’s Feature

As I’ve mentioned in a few of my Thursday Thought posts, I’ve started training at a new gym and have a wonderful new coach. Beat Personal Training is a long established personal training gym that’s been around for a while. It amazes me I’ve been living in Cincinnati for a year and a half and I’m just now discovering it!
So I’m officially training with one of the owners, Matt. Our sessions are so much shorter than what I was doing previously, which is both welcomed and surprising. It’s no secret I love my sweat sessions – so to get in and out in less than two hours is … startling. That said, being in the gym for less time does not mean I’m not working my ass off. I am. No, literally. Matt has me on a great split and I’m confident I’ll be ready for my show in October. Coupled with my new split is a new found appreciation for form and technique. My squat and bench numbers really don’t mean anything at the end of the day if I’m not executing the movement properly. This is one thing that Matt and I are working through. It’s almost discouraging to see less weight on the bar, but I know I’m doing it the right way, and I know I’m activating the muscles that need the most work. So like all things in life, after I’ve sought the advice of the expert, I’m listening to him, following his orders and hope that I will achieve the desired results I want.


It’s amazing how much raw talent Cincinnati has to offer. We’re a growing city, and we aren’t always the most popular in the zeitgeist of the country, but by and large, there are some cleverly hid gems, some nuggets of sheer brilliant talent nestled in these hills. It’s just knowing where to look.

No comments:

Post a Comment