8.8.15

Beatin' the Beat

Saturday Summary

Wow! What a week.

This week has been full of all sorts of progress. Not only did I start training at a new gym but I also have made great strides on my novel. First, the fitness.

So I’m training with Matt at Beat in preparation for my first show in October. I was reticient to begin training with a new coach for a few reasons. Namely, I was a little sheepish knowing that beginning again would mean getting to know someone again and I’d have to spell out all of my goals and aspirations. On Tuesday, during our first session, I briefly mentioned some of my benchmark targets and asked if they might stymie my progress. Matt looked at me and said, “They’re your goals. That’s up to you.” Boom, what?! So, that’s pretty awesome. At the end of our session, I was lagging a bit on high bar squats. Went down for ass-to-grass form and then struggled to come back up. Matt’s response? “Earn your body, girl.” Fuckin’ A. How brilliant, fantastic and yes.


Writing progress has been out of control this week too. I finally discovered the term I’ve been searching to describe the type of narratives I enjoy writing and reading. In preparation for my graduation lecture this November, I’ve been reading a ton of academic pages about gender and narratology (thanks, Premo for the segue!) and stumbled upon the idea of ontological narratives. That’s just a fancy word to explain the kind of narrative that makes a reader examine the why of an action after reading a piece of writing. How have I been writing this many years without this term?! Learning this word excites me beyond measure, and it’s fantastic to realize that academia and the writing world at large has a term for the kind of writing that I focus on so much.


No comments:

Post a Comment