12.8.15

Complexities and Philosophy

Wednesday’s Word

Prudence
            From the Latin, prudentia, borrowed from providentia – seeing ahead, sagacity
            The ability to govern and discipline oneself by the use of reason
            Classically considered a virtue

This dude, Thomas Aquinas, (who is not nearly as fly as Aristotle, but had some important things to say from time to time) thought that prudence was the cause, measure and form of all virtues. If a virtue is defined as the moral excellence or positive trait that is deemed to be morally good, it’s reasonable to think that ol’ Tommy thought highly of the ability to see ahead, and to govern oneself by way of reason. Virtues are the foundation for personal principles, and good moral being. So it makes sense that prudence should be the springboard from which all other virtues can be measured.
I’ve been considering prudence in a new light over the last week or so.
If a virtue is something that is, at least in the general sense, something that forms the capacity to understand if something is appropriate given a time and place, it seems easy for me to make the connection that seeing ahead, governing my life with discipline is a virtuous act.

If I look at this word objectively, and try to understand the root of prudence, it seems to me that the more moral weight a decision has, the more prudently one should approach it. I tend to think I live a morally upright sort of life, but this word has been such a sticking point for me since it’s weighted, heavy with implication and esoteric meaning. Since prudence is the measure of moral virtues, as it provides a model for ethically sound and good actions, then it stands to reason that seeing ahead, that is – the capacity to approach life with sagacity should inherently allow everyone to be(come) a prudent person. But we all know that’s not the case.  It seems the most reasonable approach to being prudent, to living and within the confines of self-imposed discipline and reason should be developed through a careful examination of values and morals to base actions. I’m going to keep chewing this word for a while longer; I don’t think I understand the root of it the way I want.

No comments:

Post a Comment