18.2.15

Waxing Poetic

Today, I visited with my esthetician for my monthly appointment.  I found her last year after a recommendation from a friend who is in the field.  Esthetician relationships are like those with dentists or gynecologists – they’re personal, intimate and somewhat awkward all at the same time. 


Over the last year that I’ve been visiting with Neva, we’ve developed a wonderful rapport.  I don’t exactly look forward to the visit, but I always look forward to catching up with her.  She’s an artist, and I’m a writer, so naturally, most of our conversations flow about all things creative.  Sometimes, we’ll discuss our respective projects, or books we’re reading; sometimes, we barely speak at all.  Today, I touched on the fact that at my office, I have to be “on” most of the time, and how it’s a little difficult on the days when I just want to be sitting in my lab, tapping words but not speaking them.  Neva looked at me, and offered me some real-talk Nati-style truth. 


It was lovely, and a wonderful reminder that even though we have a client-esthetician relationship, she’s human, I’m human, and ultimately, we have more things in common than whether or not my brows were shaped well following our last appointment.  Neva, thank you for being true, and for being real.  You are a decided reminder that as humans, and creatives, we are multi-facted, and we all bring something real to this world.  

No comments:

Post a Comment