12.2.15

Teeth for Life


I’ve been working in various capacities within the dental field since ’99.  What started as an after school job has translated into a formidable career for which I am incredibly grateful.  As I’ve noted in the posts this month, my path hasn’t exactly been well thought out at times, or easy to maneuver.  The opportunities that the dental field has offered me these last sixteen years have been amazing.
Before embarking this career, I was somewhat shy.  It was hard for me to find things to talk about with people I didn’t know, mainly because I’m a very introverted person most of the time.  As an assistant, and later, as the practice manager for my office, I’ve learned the skills necessary to find some commonality with just about everyone.  Not only has this helped my writing tremendously, but it’s also afforded me a certain sense of purpose.  It’s a strength that not everyone has, and I’m grateful for it.  I can talk to anyone now and learn about life in their eyes.  This gives me the chance to see things in a different light, and gives me pause most of the time.  I know that my experiences thus far have been far from ordinary, but there are so many people with more interesting stories than what I’ve lived.  The dental world has afforded me a long term character study of humanity.
To that, I’ve also been offered an amazing experience over these last almost-two decades in meeting so many different people.  I’ve worked the gambit of high and low end offices, so I’ve found a variety of people at each.  Not only has this helped me tailor my ghetto-ness to moments when it will be received in the right way, but it’s also given me writing fodder for days.  I have met so many characters over the years, all who show up in my writing in some way.

Though I had thoughts at one time of going to dental school, I’m thankful that my path has led me back here to my pages and my words.  I can’t help but think that all of this has been part of a greater plan.  If I hadn’t started that job, I never would have learned how to talk to people.  In turn, I would never have developed the confidence to chat up anyone, which would have a serious impact on my writing.  Arnold didn’t have to give me a chance way back in ’99, but I’m sure glad he did.  

No comments:

Post a Comment