17.2.15

Dots & Lines

At my work, I’m able to keep headphones in most of the time, which is a welcomed relief because we listen to the WORST looped Sirius station in existence.  No, really.  It sucks major ass, and plays the worst covers of songs I used to love.  Cripple Creek?  Not a favorite anymore.  Long Road?  Forget about it. 
So this morning, I plugged in my headphones and tapped on Spotify.  Thig hipped me to Spotify a few months ago after I’d been staunchly against paying for a music subscription for years.  The ten bucks I pay for unlimited music is so incredibly worth it because of exactly what happened this morning.  I wasn’t sure what I wanted to listen to, but knew that the covers were going to drive me mad.  Phish?  Tupac?  Erykah?  I decided on the hip-hop radio option and a song from Lupe’s new album came on … Dots & Lines has to be one of the most original, thought provoking and inventive tracks I’ve heard in a long time.  Realizing the Universe decided my music for me, I downloaded his new album and listened to it all day. 

Holy fucking shit.  It’s good.  Like really good.  Makes me think of poetry and love and wonder about the ways of the world.  The beats are perfect, Lupe’s cadence and word choice shows he’s not just a rapper, but a poet at heart.  And, the album gave me pause.
Even though the dental thing isn’t my thing for the rest of my life, it is what keeps me moving right now.  It’s easy to become frustrated and feel stagnant in what I’m doing.  But then, when I hear something like the sheer genius of Lupe’s new album, I realize that it’s not one giant step that will get me from here to there … it’s a series of small decisions that all lead up to the final end.  So thanks, Lupe.  Thanks, Universe.  The combination made so much in my life clear today.


No comments:

Post a Comment