7.2.15

Court Street in the Afternoon

There’s a little spot on Court Street that’s nestled between a bridal boutique and a hair salon called Cincy Workshop.  It’s a former butchery that’s been painstakingly remade into a sort of creative chill spot, and it’s a place I go often to find a little space in my writerly world.

Cincy Workshop’s purveyor and owner, B Weeze, is a family friend.  Over the years, Cincy Workshop has housed art, been the location for surprise parties, baseball game grill outs and general hanging out.  It has a wonderful vibe, mainly because of the time B has taken to cultivate a welcoming environment.  After I moved home last year, he graciously offered me the option to come and go as I needed, as much to get away from the world as to dive into it.
As the name of the street suggests, Court Street runs right into the Hamilton County court campus, so people watching at Cincy Workshop is prime.  Last year, I found myself returning to the shop in warm weather, opening wide the garage front door and … just thinking.

The people I saw and the interactions I witnessed sitting at that little round oak table were a nice reminder of every reason why I love being in the middle of a city and why suburban existence is just not for me. Last April, I started writing down the one-liners I heard from folks as they passed by the shop, and have amassed a collection of “Cincinnati-isms” that are just hilarious.  I also wrote some of my best pieces of the spring at that table, and now I find myself itching for warm weather so I can get back to the open air freedom of thought that comes from the space.  

No comments:

Post a Comment