21.2.15

Benjamin Button, What?

She was rolling a piece of paper between her fingers when I sat down at the art table in the underground classroom at Walnut.  Another girl with her name, who I knew from Latin class, had motioned me over.  I made introductions and knew immediately that Willis and I were destined to be friends.  Ferguson started teaching something about art form, and all I could think about was getting out of class and heading off for some fun.  Willis was thinking the same.
We were thirteen when we first met. Now, just about twenty years later, I’m so blessed to call her friend.  What started as an easy friendship borne at a school for smart kids has, over the years, translated to bestie, roommate, confidant, and ultimately, sister. 

Willis and I come from completely different worlds.  Her parents, who are amazing and fabulous, are still married, and her family unit is very much still intact.  By and large, there are few surface similarities between our lives.  But on a deeper level, we’re so much the same that I wonder sometimes when we’re chatting if I’m just speaking to myself.
This girl … came to New York to surprise me for my birthday.  Had a vegan friendly birthday dinner for me.  Knows what I want before I want it.  She is my truth.

This girl … she and I have had some knock down drag out shouting matches, some beautiful moments, and by and large, some lovely memories.  One of my favorites, that I return to whenever I’m trying to explain the connection is the day we called Uno’s to order a brownie dessert.   When we went to pick up the order, the hostess gave us two plastic spoons.  I won’t go into detail but suffice it to say that moment is … us, in an instance. 


We’re just as liable to listen to Outkast and old school Mobb Deep as we are to discuss her current research projects.  She’s been around through the bullshit of leaving a poverty stricken hood and the weirdness that comes from living in the suburbs.  Fuck, Willis even paid for my first tattoo – a gift from her and Twilite on my eighteen birthday.  She has set the tone for all things I understand friendship to be.  When I look at photos of us over the last twenty years, it seems like neither of us change … we’re the same, we’re different, we’re exactly who we sought out to be. 


I look to this woman for strength, understanding, and a new perspective.  She’s been my voice of reason more times than I care to admit, the one who talks me off the ledge when my creative sensibilities have taken the best of me; the chica I send postcards and random mail to because I know she appreciates it, art when I’m feeling saavy, food when I’m feeling homey.  She’s my girl, through and through.  Willi just bought her first house, and is now engaged to a delightful man who makes her happy.  I’m so pleased that her life is shaping up the way she wants it to be.  I am grateful that I have had her in my life these last twenty years and wish for so many more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment