10.12.15

Stepping Stones

Thursday’s Thought 

I’ve been giving considerable though to the next step on my journey, likely because now that I’ve graduated, everyone’s questions is. “What’s next?” Sometimes, when I’m feeling less than amenable, I feel like saying, “I have no bloody idea what next. Why don’t you tell me?” but I know that won’t get me anywhere, since no one but me knows what’s next. It would be so fantastic though to just say it … once to someone!
In keeping with this notion that I don’t need to micro-plan my life, I do think it’s important to macro-plan my goals. One of the nights I couldn’t sleep in Frankfurt, I pulled out my trusty Mead Comp book and started writing out the things I want to accomplish for 2016. Once I had a reasonable list, I then started spelling it backward, and trying to figure out how to make those things happen. They’re all really loose plans – get published, win the lottery, find a man, you know, easy, simple stuff, but they’re plans none the less and writing them out not only helped me get a clearer understanding of what I want to accomplish over the next twelve months, but also a way to make that happen.,
Now that my MFA is finished, I really do need to figure out what the hell I’m doing with life. The idea of a PhD calls to me and is so appealing for a variety of reasons. But then, so is finding a writing related job, something that fuels my mind and my spirit. I also like the idea of becoming a professional world traveler, but I’m not quite sure how to go about doing it. Point is, there are so many options open for me right now. I’m the must unencumbered I’ve ever been in my life – I have an education, a car, some savings … and no children, no relationship responsibilities and no real familial pressures or expectations. I don’t know why I’ve been sweating this next step so much. It’s actually a pretty boss situation to find myself in, as much because I am free to choose my path, as because I know that the path I decide to walk will be one that is best for me. Not having to take into account the wants and needs of a partner, or considering adult stuff like who’s going to rent my house is really actually freeing. I think I’ve been fretting over this phase for naught.

Of course, I really have no idea what the hell I’m doing with life, but that’s okay! Maybe I’m not supposed to know … I have my skeleton list of goals for ’16; that’s probably a good enough starting point, considering it’s just now December.  

No comments:

Post a Comment