30.4.15

The Completed Day


I've had so much fun deconstructing my day in honor of NaPoWriMo! As promised, here is the complete, 24-hour poem. Wondering what May's theme will be? Check back tomorrow :) 

00:00
snuggled in between
Sylvia this rogue
stuffed kitty
cocooned sheets
printed paisley
pink with passion
and a gnawing loss
that has no taste
but smells sad

01:00
roused obdurately
from far off
tawdry dream land
where I am queen
gullible and green
field of possible
stretches lachrymose
a buzzard’s alarm
cacophony of silence
my own fear pounding

02:00
another tenuous
river belly flop
fishing in the folds
of my down blanket
lost sleep
for that ephemeral
someone, laconic
reminding me
in few words
sleep is not just
for rest

03:00
one hour left
to drift sweetly
down the Ohio
pay the barge-man

with two bits, a
plaudit phrase
my smile, his
elusive kiss
obfuscating love
that promise
for a new tomorrow

04:00
digital birds chirp
like temple music
begins this day
blithe crepuscular
stretches sun arms
orange and wide
thank You for another day

05:00
teal tea kettle
shaking on the burner
like feet turn
icy in early spring
these quiet moments
bright with truthful
expectation

06:00
calendar reviewed
mask painted in
hues of the season’s
color, purple plastic
tea cup steaming
long drive from
city to ‘burbs
stretches my spirit
like soulless miles 
Dub Step, Trey or Jerry
any voice to
fill the void

07:00
counting down
to quitting time
only ten hours
yet to go,
malaise creeps
over the knoll
of what will
be future life

08:00
from back office
Viscount of my
serfdom bellows
i line up like
pieces of gum
flavored surprises of
cinnamon and fruit
to punctuate my day

09:00
another hot round
herbal tea in this
plastic cupped
life of suburban
profession
elderberry and
persimmon
piping scents
like I seek the
hour until release

10:00
belly begins a 
beguiling
rumble

derided begging
my dance for 
protein and 
a bit of freedom

tea left only to 
leaves, lunch 
far off

11:00
cursory phone 
checks thumbs
flying 
over
messages
missed, these
window thoughts
wing waiting 

quick photo
not to 
send
but an
airplane
cross check

(i'm ready to fly)
yep, 
still 
alive



12:00
open up those
metal blinds to
let the sunlight in
breeze 
trickling
through window
open 
somehow 
my spirit
remains
caged

13:00
feeding time
vegan lunch pail
pales forlorn
on the counter
abandoned
for a quick rest
head to table

14:00
back from the 
brink, bank of
the Ohio 
winding blindly
between
dreaming a 
future new and
these hours
few but still
left to find
a way

15:00
quitting time 
so close

the rooster
wants me
to call

flipping screens
between digital 
effortless lines

blending this
world poetry
with my
own pages


16:00

mid-afternoon
circular coffee

nourishes lithe body
pining for more
than errant day

planning a sweat seems
impossibly far off in
distance of ended dental
day and writer future


17:00
precipitous my
wardrobe exchanges
printed tights for
Ann Taylor threads
no wonder
mind wanders

salutary dental
hours teach me
taunt me, this
onus life
needs revision

Jerry drove me in
Logic raps me out

18:00

back to the city
where expectations
make sense of
knowing this day
will eventually be
just one more
line on a page

on the weight floor
sweat pours in
heavy droplets
truth come to
fall from brow
and gather between
breast and heart
I lift heavy
avoid the eye
of all wanting
to see inside


19:00
unwinding
door open
to possible
prayer flags
my offering
greens steam
pages and
words float
owned or
borrowed filter
through Mozart
his symphony
Little G Minor
fading light
another evening
another end

20:00
chore list crossed
checked bold
drawing dark
lines over and
through each
these daily 
demands, my own
requirements as I
seek melody
my success
symphony sounding
between wind whispers
and quiet longing
for sleep

21:00
Sylvia sits, her
largess offered in
soft grey fur and
promises for
another round of
sleep to dance this
my dream, at
barre and on pointe
I stretch grateful
arms skyward
this day, an end

22:00
startled awake
the first of 
this night

sleep
tumbling 
out 

broken patterned
petals still
pink but
faded like
fall flowers
when i'm
scared and
reach for
that phantom

You

23:00
heartbeat no 
longer catches

in the

in-between 

throat and
eyes, my 
Shakti fire
quieting this
Shiva need

five hours
remain until
I wake
once again



No comments:

Post a Comment